The European Cultural Centre of Delphi organised as from July 5 to 8, 2018, a tribute to the renowned theatre director Theodoros Terzopoulos THE RETURN OF DIONYSOS, powered by the Onassis Cultural Centre.
Theodoros Terzopoulos has been the Artistic Director of the International Meetings on Ancient Drama, organised in the past by the European Cultural Centre of Delphi. THE RETURN OF DIONYSOS focused on the work of Theodoros Terzopoulos as well as on the method he has introduced and developed over the last 32 years. It provided participants the opportunity to revisit some of his most acclaimed works, from the emblematic Bacchae, which premiered on 17 June 1986 at the Ancient Stadium of Delphi, to the Trojan Women, first shown on 7 July 2017 at the Pafos Ancient Odeon as a production of "Pafos 2017-European Capital of Culture".
The Delphi performance is realised with the cooperation of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Phokis.
The tribute included :
- Photographic installation "The Dismemberment of Dionysos", by the photographer Johanna Weber and the visual artist and architect Alexandros Kokkinos
- Sound installation “Enopae” by the composer and music teacher Panayiotis Velianitis
- Demonstration of Terzopoulos’ Method of Work
- Euripides' Trojan Women. Theatre performance at the Ancient Theatre of Delphi
- International Symposium “THE RETURN OF DIONYSOS. From Bacchae to Trojan Women”
Speakers : Anatoly Vasiliev, director (Russia), Eugenio Barba, director (Denmark), Jaroslaw Fret, Director of the Grotowski Institute (Poland), Despina Bebedeli, actress (Cyprus), Freddy Decreus, University of Ghent, (Belgium), Eleni Varopoulou, theatre critic (Greece-Germany), Vassilis Papavassiliou, actor-director (Greece), Frank Raddatz, dramaturg (Germany), Konstantinos Arvanitakis, McGill University, (Canada), Gonia Jarema, University of Montreal (Canada), Kim Jae Kyoung, University Chung-Ang (Corea), Dimitris Tsatsoulis, University of Patras (Greece), George Sampatakakis University of Patras (Greece), Katerina Arvaniti, University of Patras (Greece), Iliana Dimadi, Dramaturg, Onassis Cultural Centre (Greece), Marika Thomadaki, University of Athens (Greece), Maria Marangou, Art critic-Artistic Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art of Crete (Greece), Penelope Chatzidimitriou, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), Avra Sidiropoulou, Open University of Cyprus, Panayiotis Velianitis, composer-music teacher (Greece), Βlanka Ζizka, Artistic Director, The Wilma Theater (USA).
- Music performance THE WANDERER AND HIS SHADOW. Baritone:Dimitris Tiliakos. Piano: Yiannis Tsanakaliotis
- Film screening